VII. Examination Preparation:
Preparing for the examination is made challenging by the nature of the question development process since the material does not come from one specific source. Although each question’s author was asked to provide a reference for the question origin (and to verify the correct answer), the wide and diverse capture of questions from numerous individuals in the field has led to an enormous database of question references. Further, since the questions went through a thorough and rigorous editing and updating process, many of these references have changed to more current references that reflect the changing nature of the field. Further, the exam is continually updated so that each examination will add new questions to stay current and accurate with the scope of monitoring practice. As such, no single reference can be used to prepare for the examination, but instead the Board recommends the following set of textbooks and journals as references for preparation. Note that journals will help fill the gap from knowledge contained in textbooks and though more specific in nature will be more current.
Textbooks (alphabetical order by author):
- M. J. Aminoff, Electrodiagnosis in Clinical Neurology, 5th Edition, Elsevier, 2005.
- D.L. Beck, Handbook of Intraoperative Monitoring, Singular Publishing Group, Inc., 1994.
- E.E. Benarroch Medical Neurosciences: An Approach to Anatomy, Pathology, and Physiology by Systems and Levels, 4th Edition, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins Publishers, 1998.
- K. K. Chiappa Evoked Potentials in Clinical Medicine, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 3rd Edition, 1997.
- D.D. Daly, T.A. Pedley, Current Practice of Clinical Electroencephalography, 2nd edition, Raven Press, 1990.
- V. Deletis, J. Shils, Neurophysiology in Neurosurgery. A Modern Intraoperative Approach, Academic Press, 2002.
- JE Desmedt, Neuromonitoring in Surgery (Clinical Neurophysiology Updates, Volume 1, Elsevier Science Ltd., 1989.
- J. Engel, Surgical Treatment of the Epilepsies, 2nd Edition, Raven Press, 1993.
- G.M. Galloway, M.N. Nuwer, J.R. Lopez, K.M. Zamel, Intraoperative Neurophysiologic Monitoring, Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- R.H. Gelberman, Operative Nerve Repair and Reconstruction, Lippincott Raven, 1991.
- B.L. Grundy, RM Villani, Evoked Potentials: Intraoperative and ICU Monitoring, Springer Verlag, 1988.
- A.M. Husain, Neurophysiologic Intraoperative Monitoring, Demos Medical Publishing, 2nd Ed., 2014.
- Z. Israel, K.J. Burchiel, Microelectrode Recording in Movement Disorder Surgery, Thieme Medical Publishing, 2004.
- F.R. Jahangiri, Surgical Neurophysiology: A Reference Guide to Intraoperative Neurophysiological Monitoring, 2nd Ed., CreateSpace, 2012.
- E.R. Kandel, J.H. Schwartz, T.M. Jessell, S.A. Siegelbaum, A.J. Hudspeth. Principles of Neural Science, 5th Edition, McGraw-Hill, 2012.
- A.D. Kaye, S.F. Davis, Principles of Neurophysiological Assessment, Mapping and Monitoring, Springer, 2014.
- A.D. Legatt, Intraoperative Neurophysiology: Interactive Case Studies, 1st Ed., DVD, Demos Medical Publishing, 2015.
- C.M. Loftus, J. Biller, E. Baron. Intraoperative Neuromonitoring , 1st Ed., McGraw-Hill, 2014.
- K.F. Misulis, Spehlmann’s Evoked Potential Primer, 3rd Edition, Butterworth-Heinemann, 2001.
- A. Möller, Intraoperative Neurophysiological Monitoring, Third Edition, Springer Press, 2011.
- E. Niedermeyer, F.L. Da Silva, Electroencephalography: Basic Principles, Clinical Applications and Related Fields, 5th Edition, Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2005.
- M.R. Nuwer, Intraoperative Monitoring of Neural Function, Elsevier Press, 2008.
- G.B. Russell, L.D. Rodichok, Primer of Intraoperative Neurophysiologic Monitoring, Butterworth-Heinemann Press, 1995.
- M.V. Simon, Intraoperative Neurophysiology, Demos Medical Publishing, 2nd Ed., 2018.
- B.F. Westmoreland and E.E. Benarroch, Medical Neurosciences: An Approach to Anatomy, Pathology and Physiology by Systems and Levels, 3rd Edition, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 1994.
- L. Wilson-Pauwels, PA Stewart, E.J. Akesson, Cranial Nerves, BC Decker, Inc., 1998.
- G. Zouridakis, A.C. Papanicolaou, A Concise Guide to Intraoperative Monitoring, CRC Press, 2001.
Suggested Journals (alphabetical order):
Other than these suggestions, the ABNM currently does not endorse any particular review course or study guides. Directors of the ABNM Board have agreed to provide an ABNM Board Preparation course as part of the ASNM Annual Meeting, the contents of which are entirely based on this ABNM Policy and Procedure Manual.
- American Journal of Otology
- Annals of Neurology
- Clinical Neurophysiology
- Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology
- Journal of Neurophysiology
- Journal of Neuroscience
- Journal of Neurosurgery
- Spine Journal